What is a registered childminder?
Anyone who cares for children who are not related to them for pay or gain for more than two hours a day must register with Ofsted as a childminder.
This is a person who is registered to look after one or more children, to whom they are not related, for reward. Childminders work with no more than two other childminders or assistants. Friends who care for each other’s children do not have to register if the care is without payment of money or for things like food and electricity.
Childminders care for:
- children on domestic premises – this is in someone’s home; it is usually the childminder’s own home, but it can be someone else’s home; it is not usually the home of one of the children
- at least one individual child for a total of more than two hours in any day; this is not necessarily a continuous period of time.
Childminders must be registered with Ofsted in order to look after children under the age of 8 years old.
All Ofsted registered childminders have to:
- comply with the Early Years Foundation Stage and/or the Requirements for the Childcare Register
- hold an up to date paediatric first aid certificate
- DBS checked. From July 1st 2013, prospective childminders need to pay for their own DBS checks. Find out more information
- attend an introductory childcare course
- have appropriate insurance cover, including Public Liability Insurance.
Ofsted are responsible for registering and inspecting childminders. Details and outcomes of these inspections are published on the Ofsted website.
Registered childminders work from their own homes, so minded children benefit from being in a family environment. Childminders only look after a few children at a time so they can give each child lots of attention, meeting their individual needs. This is particularly important for babies, very young children and those with additional needs. Childminders can also care for older children so siblings can be cared for together in a real family environment.
Parents in Northamptonshire can check if their childminder is registered with Ofsted by contacting the Families Information Service by email: firstname.lastname@example.org